View Single Post
Old 04.01.2021, 11:20
Forum Legend

Groaned at 204 Times in 161 Posts
Thanked 6,944 Times in 3,106 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Life in Switzerland

Quote:
I have one small problem with Switzerland people here are very reserved which means I really only have one friend.
When I was younger I was raped beat and abused so Iím quite shy until you get to know me I would really know how to go up to some random Swiss people and have a conversation.
Here is the thing, most of us have only space for about five to eight people genuine friends in our lives at any one time. When you arrive here most of your slots are free, where as the locals have all their slots full up. And youíre going to have to wait for a slot to open up. It does not help, that the locals maintain friendships with people the were in kindergarten with 90 years ago either.

The other thing is that the Swiss tend to keep work and the rest of their lives separate. I donít have a single Swiss friend that I met through work. They are all people I met while involved in local activities.

So if you want to get to know the Swiss people, you need to get involved in local activities, not the typical expat stuff such as language classes etc...