View Single Post
Old 04.01.2021, 16:03
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 73 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,019 Times in 1,039 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK citizen, Brexit: Obtaining C permit in future

Quote:
View Post
A2 spoken, A1 written (federally defined, as of September 2019).

There's a comprehensive list here:

https://www.eda.admin.ch/dam/countri...achweis_EN.pdf
I'm not contradicting your post but the language stipulations don't seem to be uniformly applied. When I applied for my C Permit I wasn't asked about language or asked to produce a certificate. When I renewed last year I wasn't asked either. Admittedly I went to the Gemeinde armed with a few rehearsed phrases in German and possibly this was good enough to avoid any awkward questions -- despite both me and the official lapsing into English phrases here and there.

As it happens I do have A2 from about 8 years ago. My written German is OK and I can read German pretty well, but am hopeless at conversation that goes beyond restaurant / post office level. So I was anxious when I went to the Gemeinde with my completed form, but as stated, nothing was mentioned about showing a certificate. I have read on this forum that some people have been asked to attend a formal interview to test their language skills -- a thought which freaked me out a bit. But fortunately I didn't have to do that. From what I hear it's largely Kanton-dependent how these rules are applied.

To the OP, the best way to deal with the language requirement is simply to do the A2 cert which is actually pretty easy if you have a bit of time before the C Permit application.