View Single Post
Old 05.01.2021, 12:43
Forum Legend

Groaned at 1,078 Times in 742 Posts
Thanked 18,299 Times in 7,114 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serafe - wifi but that's it

Quote:
View Post
I think it's a bit of our responsibility to try to put ourselves in the shoes of the citizens whose country we have moved in, and try to "live" with the local culture. Or embrace it, whatever floats your boat.
I do understand the cultural reasons behind why Swiss terrestrial TV and radio channels need to be maintained, but I will never be happy about paying 350chf for it and am of course free to speak my mind on a public forum.

Quote:
View Post
All I can say is that Swiss TV, as a source of entertainment and information must be pretty bad if they have to force everyone to pay to watch it, even if they don't want to.

'20 minutes' is pretty bad as a newspaper but they manage to give it away free with advertising paying for it. That's how easy it is.

The old argument (used on here many times) is that someone needs to pay for the infrastructure. That infrastructure just doesn't exist any more and the price of technology has dropped so much that even a home-user can easily purchase broadcast quality video equipment.

So, where is this money going?
Well, the UK also has a TV license system so it's not unique to Switzerland and there is a lot of controversy over that too. The UK one is cheaper, but of course it has a different level of quality and number of contributors. All the Swiss I have talked to say that local TV is **** and the majority watch/listen to streaming services or foreign channels.

I guess with time, things will change as the older generations pass on and the numbers of viewers of TV and and listeners of radio plummet to such unsustainable levels that they can't either be funded without seriously raising the fees or simply implementing advertising.
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post: