View Single Post
Old 05.01.2021, 17:48
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 82 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,223 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying Second-Hand Diesel Car

Quote:
View Post
out-of-warranty 2014 diesel (complicated enough already for EURO 5)? Might easily spend 5-10k on engine repair pretty soon, will only know whenever you there.
Engine repair on a Diesel with maybe 100.000 km?

I bought a 2013 Diesel (Euro5) in 2018. Haven't encountered any problems, also not in Germany (depends on where you go of course, but often the closed areas are a couple of streets within a certain city only). Very good fuel economy, service more expensive than petrol. I intend to have the car to end of lifetime and then replace with electric, now that this market comes alive.

Also have a EURO6 Diesel from 2017. Same as above with of course even less issues with NOX emissions and potential bans in certain areas.

The "filth" argument is ridiculous in my view, particularly when you are not in a major agglomeration. Diesel engines are more efficient than petrol and therefore normally emit less CO2 even when adjusting for the higher carbon content in Diesel.
The following 3 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post: