View Single Post
Old 06.01.2021, 18:37
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 38 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,178 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Happy to take that bet, but not happy to wait 10–20 years to collect on it. How about we just skip forward to 2040, where I can assure you England (for that's all that will be left of the UK) will be at the mercy of the United States of Europe, the Middle East and Parts of Asia (USEMAPA). I accept payment in CHF or BTC.

Also, in your world, apparently you see the UK taking 10–20 years to get its economy working outside of Europe. That seems a harsh lesson for Brexiteers to learn (although as explained, Britain's economy won't be up to the standards of the EU's by then anyway).
Fwiw I think the UK / Englands likely superior performance is really nothing to do with brexit either way.

What really matters are fundamentals. Which means quality companies and demographics. All of Europe is living in the 20th Century with respect to the former but the UKs demographics are less bad than most.

I would imagine by 2040 the EUs power in the world (even if it remains 100% intact) will have declined sufficiently that nobody will be at its mercy. That's the safest prediction of all.

Mountains of debt, protectionism and terrible demographics tell their own story. And the Euro remains a huge problem - big decisions will have to be made when interest rates rise. Theres been a lot of can kicking.

Basically I don't think brexit is in any way a per we answer to the UKs issues but I hope it makes us wake up and smell the coffee that Reform is needed.

Last edited by HickvonFrick; 06.01.2021 at 19:02.