View Single Post
Old 07.01.2021, 14:45
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 3,169 Times in 877 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Employer insists on working from the office

Before Covid-19, our office was the workplace for around 900 staff, visitors, consultants and service providers. WFH was permitted, but not general practice.

The office was a vibrant hub of collaboration and many staff travelled to events and to meet their stakeholders.

Since last March, we've recommended that all staff WFH, and only come to the office if a physical presence is necessary.

We've got good IT devices and IT security that supports WFH. We use Zoom and Teams, which have been mostly excellent.

I'm one of a handful of folks who've been asked to be regularly physically present - and I'm glad.

I avoid public transport by cycling 15km each way, the office is scrubbed clean several times a day, with robust measures for hygiene, space, and masks.

I take weekly tests, and at the office, I feel safer than anywhere else.

When I do WFH, I miss colleague relationships, and feel disconnected and distant from what is happening.

I also have a personal value that drives me to leave the job at the office, and be present for my family, when I'm at home. I never call, or email my team outside of working hours or during their vacation - And, my team is as far west as SF, and far east as Tokyo. When I'm not at work, I only answer my phone if the Chairman, or my boss calls.

I don't judge anyone who wants to WFH rather than spending time in a workplace - I know where I'd rather work, and while it's its likely to be an unpopular opinion, WFH is not for me.
The following 9 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post: