View Single Post
Old 07.01.2021, 15:41

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Spaceghost is considered knowledgeableSpaceghost is considered knowledgeableSpaceghost is considered knowledgeable
Re: Employer insists on working from the office

Quote:
View Post
When I do WFH, I miss colleague relationships, and feel disconnected and distant from what is happening.

I also have a personal value that drives me to leave the job at the office, and be present for my family, when I'm at home. I never call, or email my team outside of working hours or during their vacation - And, my team is as far west as SF, and far east as Tokyo. When I'm not at work, I only answer my phone if the Chairman, or my boss calls.

I don't judge anyone who wants to WFH rather than spending time in a workplace - I know where I'd rather work, and while it's its likely to be an unpopular opinion, WFH is not for me.

I agree massively with this - we were doing a week into the office and a week out late last year as things started to open up and I then realised how much I prefer working in the office to working alone at home. Although technically I have everything I need to WFH, the fact that I live away from my family here in the week (they're in UK) and on my own every evening anyway means that also WFH on my own all day gets very lonely. This is exacebated in lockdown as usually the weekly meet-ups with the other ex-pat guys from work for a beer are stopped which usually help break the monotony.

I have mates in the UK who claim that I'm having the life of riley over here away from the stress of family life and 'sitting there getting pissed playing COD and making music' but honestly at times it's felt like living in a nicely furnished prison cell for months on end.

I can't wait to go back into the office regularly.
This user would like to thank Spaceghost for this useful post: