View Single Post
Old 07.01.2021, 20:27
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 68 Times in 38 Posts
DL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of manyDL21 has earned the respect of many
Re: Car Import - 12 Month Rule

will your company also pay the conversion costs?

its not worth what a swiss 335 is here. imported cars (especially from the US) normally fetch much less.

you'll need to change quite a lot. some is programmable and some not. the head lights should really be changed for euro spec ones - they may force you to do that. you may need to fit headlight washers if not already. it will still look different: square rear license plate recess, side markers, mph speedo, etc.

you may also struggle to get data needed (US BMWs have different type approval than euro models so in effect your car was never sold here). in particular the month of first registration.

expect to clean it like its never been cleaned before.

might even need to do some mechanical servicing. the standards here are way higher than in the US so if it has more than 30'000km you may well need to replace several worn suspension parts.

i hope you know what you've taken on.....

I have imported several cars from various places, the most relevant being an E60 M5 I bought new in the US and just like so didn't want to part with. that was a real ball ache, took a long time and cost a lot.

personally, I think you'll end up out of pocket by some margin and out of a lot of time and effort.
The following 3 users would like to thank DL21 for this useful post: