Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 08.01.2021, 17:37
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 39 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,274 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Maybe you or Clifton are just hearing what you want to hear.

Those I know who have it fall into 3 categories.

A couple in care homes
A couple basically unlucky or not reasonably avoidable through a random but close contact.
Most however were people who I know to be more in the Clifton/HvF camp who ignored whichever guidelines they thought didn't apply to them.

I did a little mental survey a while back and realised that most of the infections I know of were in people I would have expected to be infected beforehand.
I would characterize the people from back home who have caught it as a bit dozy or dim on average. Not actually rebellious. One who got a lift from a friend to avoid public transport particularly comes into mind. Then again I don't really know anyone who is actively a COVID-denier. Obviously, the absolute wits have mostly had it by now. Actually, not many of my friends have had it.

I'm pretty good on the social distancing FWIW. The last time I had sustained indoor contact with someone not in my household was back in Q1 2020 other than public transport (I can't drive). And I'm careful on public transport too - travel at very non peak times. Certainly won't sit next or opposite to anyone. Risk there is not zero, but I don't think its high.

The reality is that the guidelines and what is sensible correlate, but there are some discrepancies. Taking the UK - Rishi's dishes vs. not being allowed for a second outdoor walk by yourself. I would completely ignore the rule saying you couldn't go out for a second alone outdoor walk - because I am a person not a sheep. I would not have participated in Rishi's dishes in a restaurant that did not have outdoor seating because I do not believe in such totally unnecessary and casual risk taking. I think slaveishly following the law (but doing as much as you are entitled to) and doing the reverse is indefensible.

I think my general point that one should think for themselves and assess the risks using their brain rather than just follow the guidelines word for word is just obvious common sense. But then again I believe broadly if you treat people like adults they behave like adults, and if you treat people like children, they behave like children.

Last edited by HickvonFrick; 08.01.2021 at 18:08.
The following 2 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post: