View Single Post
Old 08.01.2021, 19:01
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 38 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,179 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance in 2 countries

Quote:
View Post
Hi all!,

I am Swiss woman working in the UK and planning to have my baby in Switzerland to be closer to family.

Though, I can't find a way to be insured in Switzerland whilst living in the UK. Has anyone here gone for something similar which can give a sight?

I don't think i can register in the Gemainde whilst working in Switzerland.

Thanks!
I imagine that if that is your plan you'd have to pay out of your own pocket. It'd be around the 10K CHF level for a typical birth.

A Swiss insurer is not under any obligation to insure someone who declares themselves as a non-resident and they obviously won't insure a pregnant person for the costs of giving birth voluntarily.

The alternative would be that you move back (e.g. Airbnb or with your parents) and claim Swiss residency. In such a case, your claim for residency would not be telling the truth, as your real home is in the UK, and so the insurance contract would not be valid.

If you think about it, what you are asking for is to not pay any Swiss taxes, but for the Swiss taxpayer to fund your medical costs. Clearly this isn't allowed. Its the same the other way around. As a British person living in Switzerland I can't just waltz back to the UK and use the NHS when I feel like it.

Last edited by HickvonFrick; 08.01.2021 at 19:14.
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post: