View Single Post
Old 08.01.2021, 22:42
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 38 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,192 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance in 2 countries

Quote:
View Post
Are you currently pregant?

If not you could buy international insurance, like CIGNA. They cover you worldwide with or without US. Its expensive though. Just depends on your outlook.

[I]If you are currently pregnant then indeed the only way would be to travel back, register as a resident, deliver in a local public hospital (if you are pregnant the private insurance will not cover you) and then deregister later.[/I]

The issue is also, you would have to preregister baby also with insurance to be covered for complications during birth. Also, god forbid but it happens, if the baby were to need an ICU stay or have complications, perhaps its better to have the baby in your country of residence and start treatment there etc.

All in all, please think through whether you would want to have the need ot travel here at 8 months pregnant with all that is going on to carry out such plan.
I don't think that's even possible. If she has no intention of staying in Switzerland permanently she would be fraudently registering (at least arguably). Imagine god forbid there was a complication and she had to stay in hospital and racked up a huge bill. The insurance company could refuse to pay and she'd be on the hook with unlimited liability.

The fact she has a job in the uk means she would be essentially without a defence if challenged on residence.

I guess if the Swiss public hospital is her preference she should explain her plans and get written confirmation from the insurer that she would be covered. Perhaps if she were to stay for a full year of maternity leave she could be considered resident but this needs clarification.

OP: I know the Situation in the UK is desperate now with Covid and you probably feel like running home. I would too - but doing it without having firm insurance in place would be madness.
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post: