Thread: Cancel Culture
View Single Post
Old 10.01.2021, 09:32
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 2,512 Times in 882 Posts
ennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond reputeennui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

I saw this explanation on Twitter, and it makes sense to me....

Imagine Twitter (etc) is a baker and Trump is a gay themed wedding cake. The baker can refuse to make the cake. Likewise, social media can expel a disruptive presence if that presence goes against their rules for behavior. Social media has behavior standards set by the platform. Like banning here.

Another thought - it’s illegal to scream “fire” in a crowded movie theatre when there is none.

Trump bears some responsibility for incitement. He encouraged it. He’s been encouraging these behaviors over time, whipping up the audience at his rallies. I think the group dynamic was such that there were certain bad actors who wanted to rage and a lot of people were caught up in the mob thing.

Having said all this, I do have a vague discomfort at cutting off Trump -or anyone- forever. But for sure, he needs to be quiet for a while, imho.

One motivation for this action right now is that with the change in administration and control of the congress, social media platforms are probably reassessing their positions.
The following 4 users would like to thank ennui for this useful post: