Thread: Cancel Culture
View Single Post
Old 10.01.2021, 09:37
Forum Legend

Groaned at 1,097 Times in 751 Posts
Thanked 18,541 Times in 7,187 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Would be interesting to know how much social media has made from trump and his 100m online followers over the last 4 years.

Social media is about discussion and the more divisive that it, the more people it attracts .. The platforms would have loved it and raked in millions in both money and new subscribers. But when it no longer fits, just pull the plug.
This is a bit of an oversimplification (I am being generous with my wording here), John. The main things that have changed in the last 4 years are:
  • Trump stepped up his rhetoric and became more dangerous and unpredictable as time progressed.
  • Scrutiny over social media use and the effects of its abuse has very rightly been increased during this time.
  • The political landscape is not the same as it was 4 years ago and understanding of the dangers of unfettered use of social media are now better understood.

Things have to, and are, changing. I say again that anyone who can't understand why people in positions of such political power and political, with access to hundreds of millions of impressionable people on social media platforms, cannot be allowed to pathologically lie and engage in hate speech without any restrictions, must have some cognitive issues. it just doesn't get any more obvious.
The following 3 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post: