View Single Post
Old 11.01.2021, 00:16
Forum Legend

Groaned at 77 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 11,225 Times in 4,564 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tenancy agreement - what happens if i get fired?

Quote:
View Post
If you lose your job, the best thing to do is give notice as required and work hard to find a replacement tenant. In German that's called a nachmieter. I don't know the term in French or Italian. A replacement tenant is someone who agrees to take over the existing lease including length of lease and costs.
If you present a suitable prospective replacement tenant (and suitable means that he landlord would suffer no negative effets by renting to them instead of to you) then the landlord must release you from the tenancy agreement. Then you will be completely free from your contractual obligation to the landlord, and the agreement is ended.

Quote:
View Post
Rav - to sublet your appartment should be a breeze, I understand your unfortunate situation, covid creates many lay-offs and bankrupcies. You should better inform your landlord if in fact that situation is coming. Maybe they have family/friends that need to take over. But it sounds like then you wouldn't have where to live at all? Would you leave immediately? Good luck with all.
In your case, since you intend to leave Switzerland if you lose your job, I would advise against a sublet. You see, if you sub-let you still remain fully responsible towards the landlord until the end of your tenancy contract, and during that while you will be the landlord of your sub-tenant (whom you hope will pay their rent to you, reliably).

Therefore, subletting should be a last resort. Take that route only in the case that your landlord will not release you from the contract because you absolutely cannot present someone as replacement tenant who wants to take over your contract on the same terms as you have.
The following 4 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: