View Single Post
Old 11.01.2021, 05:11
All mod cons

Groaned at 290 Times in 229 Posts
Thanked 19,482 Times in 7,676 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The EU hasn't bought enough vaccine for its member states. This has been covered extensively in the news. Even the bloke who invented the Pfizer vaccine expressed surprise at the low numbers ordered. Now Germany has broken its agreement with the EU and gone off and ordered vaccine individually.

Were the UK in the EU itd have far less vaccine than it does.

I could also add that the uk authorities have been quicker to grant marketing authorisation than the EU (who in turn basically called the very distinguished scientists who make these decisions names).
My recollection (confirmed when I just searched now) was that the EU had ordered hundreds of millions of doses of vaccines from multiple possible suppliers—more than enough to cover its entire adult population, let alone before it became apparent that a large percentage of those adults would refuse vaccination.

On top of that, as I recall, every member state was free to.make its own arrangements, if so desired. The UK was "bound" by the same conditions until 31.12.2020; bound in inverted commas because those conditions were anything but restrictive.

Then there's also the minor issue of the substantial loans (hundreds of millions of euros) granted by the European Investment Bank to BioNTech, CureVac, et al. to develop their vaccines. Without the EU, there would be "Pfizer" vaccine (developed by BioNTech), no upcoming "Bayer" vaccine (CureVac), etc.
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post: