View Single Post
Old 11.01.2021, 11:59

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
jpjpjpjp has earned some respectjpjpjpjp has earned some respect
Re: Car Import - 12 Month Rule

Another potential issue I wanted advice on. After reading the forums, I took the recommendation buying Winter tires, due to insurance liability and safety reasons. The original rims had all season tires and I bought a second set of rims+tires(BMW rims) equipped with winter tires.

The problem now is that these winter tires don't have the TPMS(or they do but the system is *slightly* different). This of course causes an error to pop up on my BMW screen saying there is a "malfunction" with the TPMS. I would like to keep the winter tires on but I can see this being a reason they would fail my vehicle during inspection. After talking to the dealership and researching this topic a bit online seems like I have a few options:
  • Swap back to all season and go to inspection with those
  • Order TPMS that will work for the winter tires
  • Keep winter tires on without TPMS and explain the situation
  • Code out the TPMS to revert to FTM(Flat Tire Monitor). Seems like this was the old way of monitoring tires before TPMS and F30s can use both. Since I need to change the coding for the lighting, radio etc. I could ask if they can also code this switch. Would have to switch settings every time I swap tires

Guess my question is, since the law requiring TPMS was enacted in November 2014, would they not pass my car if a "TPMS Malfunction" was present?

Last edited by jpjpjpjp; 11.01.2021 at 12:12.