View Single Post
Old 11.01.2021, 12:04
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 172 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 4,863 Times in 1,878 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Option 3 (no vote) doesn't get counted (except as.sppoled ballots, if the voter decides to do that). If the voter does not want to participate in the democratic process, s/he simply gets their name crossed off the list at the polling booth as if they had actually voted.

Australia has compulsory voting but nobody ever expects every voter to actually lodge a vote. They are, however, expected to turn up to the polling booth to consciously exercise their right to vote—or not to vote. I hope this makes sense...
Yes I get it, I was thinking of the Oz model when I replied. I see its a big advantage of knowing how many people "weren't bothered" from a communication perspective, i.e. so the government can honestly say "this is the results and this is how many people had a view", but it doesnt help in terms of decision making I think ? Unless im being stupid it wont change the percentages it will just allow for complete reporting of yes / no / didnt vote.

we'd still be here with people banging on about whether you can actually go ahead based on X, Y, Z whatever they have thought of next.

I think its great though as a practice BTW. it makes people vote, which will get a lot more people to actively make a decision.