Thread: Cancel Culture
View Single Post
Old 13.01.2021, 09:29
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 415 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,142 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Does this mean EU will have a better image among certain EF members from now on?...
I was always a reluctant Brexiteer, however it's still a vote that I don't regret. Not everything the EU does is "BAD" however on balance I think it's better to go forward without being a member. That's the problem with this forum, and general discourse at the moment, the center ground just doesn't exist. Everyone has to be on one side or the other!

Anyway, to return to the point, I didn't post that link in praise of the EU. Just showing an example of how the decisions of Big Tech over the past week will have serious ramifications for them going forward. Other countries will also now take a firmer line on how they are regulated. I think it's highly ironic that a country like Germany, which has far more restrictive free speech laws than most western democracies, have raised their concerns over the actions of Big Tech.

Another example, in Uganda they've blocked Twitter and Facebook, after Big Tech closed some accounts there related to the upcoming election. The response from Twitter (see below) is hilarious in its lack of self-awareness. This after they suspended the New York Post's Twitter account in the run up to the US election!

Big Tech should remember, whilst they can control accounts which can be switched off, governments control the internet, which can also be switched off. A race to the bottom is the only outcome here.

https://twitter.com/Policy/status/1349059275461685250
The following 5 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post: