View Single Post
Old 13.01.2021, 12:51
Forum Legend

Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,811 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
I think there is a very good point here.

If a boulder is conscious, what does that mean? The boulder doesn't have eyes or ears and thus cannot see me and has no way of even being aware of me or of anything else in its surroundings. It doesn't have muscles either and so cannot move of its own volition. So if the boulder falls on my foot, it clearly did not do so through any act of choice or consciousness.

Esoterics and the like however will say that the boulder could hear me talk to it and intentionally fell on my foot. In other words, the moment you as a scientist admit there may be some, however insignificant, consciousness, they run away with the idea and assume that you said the boulder has human-like consciousness.

And maybe, in anticipation of that sort of reaction, scientists are tiptoeing around the topic and avoiding that particular Pandora's box.
Not everything is a full continuum - for example, consciousness is viewed as having a minimum level of complexity to be accepted as such. There's a debate about where that line should be drawn, but no scientists would include a rock and I don't think they are tiptoeing around.

I think the modern term for esoteric is "conspiracy theorist"