View Single Post
Old 13.01.2021, 14:09
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 107 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,057 Times in 686 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS branch office closures

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, computer illiteracy is big problem. Just because people is able to unblock a phone with the face it doesn't mean people knows how hardware and software works. Most of these people is a walking disaster waiting to happen: from classic fraud to I did not read the T&Cs carefully enough.

The idea that screens are bad for some reason doesn't help. So far, I've only seen public policy in France against illectronisme, can be translated to computer illiteracy. Meanwhile, popular culture fears computers and idealizes a life without them instead of thinking about the need to master them.

I don't actually want to be computer literate or master any software. I have other things to do. If I can write and communicate, use my smart phone for messages and so on I'm perfectly happy. I'm a happy 82 year-old man anyway, don't need to master screens of any kind. My main telephone calls are made with my fixline and not being able to see the person I am talking to doesn't worry me at all.
My rent, all bills, and all financial transactions I do with 'Einzahlungsscheine' and cash. When I book a holiday I go to the local travel agent and pay cash. Cash which I withdraw from the bank and stand in a queue for. I never have outstanding debts and know at any moment just how my accounts stand.
Were I to drive into town and have to pay a parking space with my phone I'd be lost. So I use public transport and pay the train or bus ticket with cash.
As far as I can see I am at no disadvantage to, for instance, my sons who click away merrily at all possible times. But they have higher costs.
The advantage is that I didn't have to pay for an expensive phone device and don't have a monthly bill of XX(X)SFr..coming in because of clicking at all possible requests. My TV and internet connections exclude my smart phone which I have on Migros Budget - but 'what's app' is free, so no costs here. Paying per Einzahlungsscheine and cash saves me a lot of money per year, I pay Fr 5. per month for PostFinance. I've had a small 'handy' for years to take with me outside and in the car so everything is under control.

As things progress in the banking world and the path for me gets narrower I'll find a way.
The following 5 users would like to thank Busby for this useful post: