View Single Post
Old 13.01.2021, 14:39
Forum Legend

Groaned at 52 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,733 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving from Zurich to St Moritz

Quote:
View Post
Prob not the smartest idea in the world, but I'm not the smartest person.

So I'm driving in next couple days to St Moritz for a quick stay before returning to Zurich.

I had booked a random car but on advise from other people upgraded the car to some AWD model.

But then someone mentioned that you might need snow chains....I thought the roads would be clear enough (presuming car rental has winter tyres..) and can you even use snow chains on AWD?

Looking at my car rental it does not seem to come with chains. Is it obligatory to have these? Also what realistically are the conditions going to be like? Driving will be done in the evening so not expecting any great sights which is a shame (unless anyone has recommendations of a particular route to take?)

Thanks.
Yes you can use snow chains on AWD - often just on the front wheels (so you can still steer), but in principle you can put them on all four for maximum grip.

It is obligatory to have them available on some roads, I don't know about the route to St Moritz, and it is also obligatory to not drive dangerously which could be interpreted as needing chains.

The best route to St Moritz is on the train in the carriage with panoramic roof. The best road route (imo) is Albula pass, but that's closed in winter.
The following 3 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post: