View Single Post
Old 13.01.2021, 19:22
Forum Legend

Groaned at 74 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 11,026 Times in 4,485 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AITA: Dog vs Neighbor

Quote:
View Post
I have an neighbor that I don't see eye-to-eye with. I've done my best to go down the amicable route, but now need a second opinion.
Issue: My neighbor .... stopped me yesterday and gave me a 15 minute lecture on how aussies are not house dogs, and he needs to be chasing sheep for 3 hours a day, and would report me to the authorities and they would take him away.

This has caused me to freak out a bit, didn't sleep all night, and now trying to figure out what to do. A few questions:
1. Is she right? AITA? Am I mistreating him?
2. What is the chance that he gets taken away? How does that work? Do I get a warning first? I would rather change job/country before losing him... He's my world, and I have no idea how I would cope without him.
4. Comments, thoughts? What should I do? I bought this house because of the garden, so he could run around; but now I'm really doubting the decision...
I don't know if this would work, so it's here only as a suggestion.

Go and see your dog's vet. It sounds like you are already ensuring that your dog gets the treatment he needs. Describe your life at home with your dog.
Do not mention the neighbour. Ask your vet outright: "Do you think my dog is healthy (within the limitations of the issues we're already working on) and happy or does he, in your opinion, need something else in his everyday life? This dog means everything to me: am I treating him properly?"

If the vet feels something is severely amiss, he/she will surely reply: "Well, yes, I am concerned that what you're doing isn't good enough because of a, b and c." In that case, work on fixing those, and return to report to the vet. As soon as the vet feels everything is okay, ask him/her to put that in writing. File that doctor's certificate.

Don't bother to seek out your neighbour. Do whatever you like with your blinds. Love your dog. Then, if the neighbour speaks to you again about your dog, say: "Well, after that time you spoke to me at the start of January, I thought through all the many measures we have in place to keep our dog happy. I couldn't really think of something we were supposed to be doing differently. However, I do want the dog to be happy, so I checked with my vet. We had quite a long conversation about how the dog lives out his everyday life. After that, the vet gave me the All Clear, and a doctor's certificate that the dog is fine."

If the neighbour does set any authority on you, then, too, you can pull out said certificate.

If you don't really trust the vet, you could do the same exercise with someone in an official club, or similar, perhaps for your kind of dog, asking them to come to your home and check on everything, and give you tips, and then write you a letter to say that they've inspected your home and you are looking after the dog properly.
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: