View Single Post
Old 13.01.2021, 23:26
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 34 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,048 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post

Council tax isn't optional and it's on the same form. It's very good.

The HMRC do know - if you are employed, they know. If you are collecting any kind of benefits, they know. If you have registered the birth of a child, they know. Everyone at 16 gets a NI number. If they want to be paid in any other way than dodgy cash in hand, the HMRC knows.

Enough people drive and have passports.

There is enough overlap with all of these agencies. Not sure why you are hellbent on sqying otherwise.

Of course GPs are good - pretty much every registered with one and if you move you re register, though tbh GPs aren't that concerned if you don't move too far away and will keep you.
To give you my own personal example at the point of leaving the UK in early 2020:

- I didn't register for a GP in the 6 years I was in London (2014-2020) as I never needed to go. Lots of young people move frequently and don't always register or de-register.

- I don't drive, passed my test at 18 in sixth form and never updated my address from my parents

- I had a passport - but it was 8 years old and the address wasn't up to date

- I never bothered to tell my employer when I moved, so they were presumably giving HRMC the wrong address

- My wife paid the council tax bills as she owned the house (and had done before I met her).

- I didn't register to vote, as there was no election, and I was planning on moving abroad. I knew that you are only entitled to vote as an expat in the last place you are registered - which for my previous address was a marginal seat - so I didn't register at my wife's address in order that I could keep my vote in that marginal seat after the move (although obviously didn't use it while living at my wife's). Bending the rules perhaps but legal - the guidance is clear that its the last place you are registered.

Granted, most people will have given their address at some point. But there will likely be loads of old addresses still on file. There's probably 3 or 4 wrong addresses for me on file.