View Single Post
Old 14.01.2021, 10:27

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
jazh has an excellent reputationjazh has an excellent reputationjazh has an excellent reputationjazh has an excellent reputation
Re: Driving from Zurich to St Moritz

Quote:
View Post
chains will not be necessary. end of story.
What you wrote contradicts my personal experience.

At least twice in the last 15 years, while driving over the Julierpass, I've had to get out of the car and put on the chains.

The snowfall got harder and harder while driving. At no point were the police controlling (I have heard from others who've been checked and stopped on the Julierpass for not having chains or 4WD/AWD) or telling the drivers to put chains on, but at some point it became clear to all drivers, not just us that it was no longer safe to continue without chains. Many cars pulled over to the side and put chains on their cars. I am glad we had the chains (sad that I hadn't put them on before), because driving was starting to feel super unsafe.

I also want to add, that the road conditions worsen as the altitude increases. That means that while you're driving uphill, you won't know if it is necessary to put on the chains until you either get to the top of the pass and don't need them, or the conditions worsen to the point that you do need them.
The following 2 users would like to thank jazh for this useful post: