Thread: Cancel Culture
View Single Post
Old 14.01.2021, 16:52

Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 1,028 Times in 374 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
Whether intentionally or not, you're still not getting the issue here, so to follow on from your rather clumsy analogy:

Person A wants to sleep with Person B.

B says no.

A takes exception and says "OK, I'll go and take my business to person C" (as it's related to business I'll make a clumsy sex trade analogy)

B says "OK, I'll get my pimp to mess up person C because I don't want you taking your trade anywhere"

No. I get what your argument is, I don't agree with it. And there has been no third party with regards to Twitter. Possibly some societal pressure but there was no "messing up" of the service.

And your extension of my "clumsy" analogy is irrelevant as it wasn't about a proposed transaction - not a refusal to sell goods - but simply a personal sovereign refusal.

You are trying to turn an issue of consent, for want of a better word, to that of coercion for money. They are not the same thing. Which is why i used the sex analogy. The Consenting to Tea vid that Doro posted is the ultimate analogy for this as it also includes a scenario where consent had been withdrawn. Which is the case with Trump and Twitter.

However, if you would care to point out exactly and precisely what it is about this issue you believe i have missed, I would genuinely like to know.