Thread: Cancel Culture
View Single Post
Old 14.01.2021, 17:00
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 444 Times in 260 Posts
Thanked 2,734 Times in 1,244 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
No. I get what your argument is, I don't agree with it. And there has been no third party with regards to Twitter. Possibly some societal pressure but there was no "messing up" of the service.

And your extension of my "clumsy" analogy is irrelevant as it wasn't about a proposed transaction - not a refusal to sell goods - but simply a personal sovereign refusal.

You are trying to turn an issue of consent, for want of a better word, to that of coercion for money. They are not the same thing. Which is why i used the sex analogy. The Consenting to Tea vid that Doro posted is the ultimate analogy for this as it also includes a scenario where consent had been withdrawn. Which is the case with Trump and Twitter.

However, if you would care to point out exactly and precisely what it is about this issue you believe i have missed, I would genuinely like to know.
That it's not that Twitter banned Donald Trump, which I don't agree with however can see why people say "it's a private company they can do what they want". Rather that their "rival" Parler, has been removed from Google and Apple app stores, and Amazon have stopped hosting their website. All within 48 hours of one another and also within 48 hours of the ban of Donald Trump.
The following 4 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post: