View Single Post
Old 14.01.2021, 18:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,259 Times in 9,887 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
But I think us trying to make sense in the laws of physics should not (totally my "shouldn't") automatically mean attributing consciousness to inanimate objects. Unless we change the definition of consciousness. Which I think is a real question, and another one linked to this is "why". Lot of people I know are into this because of their deep faith combined with sci mind. I think faith will make you pick a side in this..I may be completely mistaken and it may be a taboo to not poke...but again, it's an cogn/epistemological issue.
Actually, I think many "faith" people would disagree. That's more the stuff you hear in the "make it up as you go" corner. Most major faiths would, if pushed hard enough, attribute consciousness to something that was started by some sort of act of god or other divine principle, which by extension, means that the number of neurons you have is no indicator of whether or not you have any level of consciousness.

The problem with popular science is that it has a tendency of becoming a shop window for cherry pickers. People pick out individual details that support their previous theories while ignoring the bits that don't.