Thread: Cancel Culture
View Single Post
Old 21.01.2021, 07:50
Forum Legend

Groaned at 343 Times in 279 Posts
Thanked 15,401 Times in 7,904 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
As with everything on the internet, if something goes viral and gathers momentum, a huge number of people can switch platform in a very short space of time. Once a critical mass is reached then it could very soon be goodbye Facebook/Twitter etc. (until they go and buy the competition!).
And you're very likely to change one "tyrant" with another but I guess that will be noted when they'll gather a larger user base.

Quote:
View Post
Exactly. I think i tried to make this point a while ago: both product and target audience. It's ingenious, really. In a devil's deal kind of way.
Yes. Profit making is ingenious. Social media giants don't really aim to offer each and everyone a safe space.

Time to introduce social media and internet studies in schools so people know from an earlier age what they're getting into and how to protect themselves against disinformation or misinformation, data sharing, online privacy etc I think Axa has nailed it: time to pause and think about parasocial interactions.

Last edited by greenmount; 21.01.2021 at 08:02.
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: