Thread: Cancel Culture
View Single Post
Old 21.01.2021, 08:42
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 480 Times in 278 Posts
Thanked 3,033 Times in 1,352 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
And you're very likely to change one "tyrant" witho another but I guess that will be noted when they'll gather a larger user base.

Yes. Profit making is ingenious. Scial media giants don't really aim to offer each and everyone a safe space.

Time to introduce social media and internet studies in schools so people know from an earlier age what they're getting into and how to protect themselves against disinformation or misinformation, data sharing, online privacy etc I think Axa has nailed it: time to pause and think about parasocial interactions.
Good morning children, today we're going to teach you how to meme

I do think this is a good point though, this does need to be on the curriculum. Many parents just can't cope with it. The speed with which social media has taken over the planet has just caught everyone cold.

President Von der Leyen spoke yesterday on the subject of tech censorship and had this to say "We want it laid down clearly that internet companies take responsibility for the content they disseminate."

"Politicians and parliaments, not Silicon Valley managers, should decide who to ban from platforms".

It was probably going to happen eventually anyway, but Twitter may yet live to regret the banning of President Trump once the chains of regulation start to impact the platform. Maybe the regulators will be the new "tyrant" you speak of?
The following 4 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post: