Thread: Cancel Culture
View Single Post
Old 21.01.2021, 23:48

Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 1,057 Times in 378 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cancel Culture

Quote:
View Post
It is a cute story, it sounds ancient. I like that the teacher wanted to warn kids, or get involved in good faith...I am not sure what he would say about some of today's weird rap lyrics. It is not like that anymore, long time has not been like that. Kids are very internet savvy now, the rounds of educators on internet safety and issues come into the classrooms repeatedly, looks like every year. We get a brochure as well so we know what is going on. I would say on average, they do know so much more than their parents and also know what to believe in, how to fact check should they be interested in that. Not like they are, for most parts. They are not like our EFers or the usual grown up internet users trying to prove somebody wrong, looking for legit sounding links, etc. etc. They follow insta, tiktok, visual and fun stuff. Getting quality data is a bit pasť, they get enough of that at school. Internet is for connecting, socially. Not trying to feel important about politics or seeing where the ultimate truth must be.

If you think rap lyrics are the weirdest thing kids are accessing on the net you're a tad out of touch. I think it's troublesome to assume that just because they are adept users they are also aware of the pitfalls. I've lost track of the amount of conversations I've had/assemblies and classes I've participated in where the kids do not understand that the internet is forever. You cannot erase a digital image. Once you send it you lose all control of it. They don't really understand the potentially dangerous reach of viral. A media teacher recently made this point via FB. Posted a request for her task and image to go as far and wide as possible. Asked that everyone who shared the image posted their country and region. It was incredible to watch.

In my experience the average teenager believes Wikipedia only speaks the truth.

Tom: no liberal arts, no Hello Kitty. Or whatever it is you watch.
The following 8 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post: