Old 22.01.2021, 06:17

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
FabioSuave has no particular reputation at present
Re: Escaping the US to CH

Quote:
View Post
Hi Fabio,
How're things going?

I've been re-thinking the info and advice on this thread, and I think it's worth adding something that's not just financial and about finding work. It's about the cultural differences between Switzerland and, well, just about anywhere else.

For anyone moving here (or for that matter, moving from anywhere to anywhere), the sooner on gets one's head around the fact that "here" is guaranteed to be different from "there", the better. This is a mental process of chipping away at one's own preconceived notions of How The World Is Supposed To Work. Newcomers encounter all sorts of things that just don't seem to add up or that don't make sense. Then, it just doesn't help much to judge such matters by the rules of what used to be taken as normal "back there". Keeping focussed on how it was "back home" will trip one up over and over again.

The onus for making the allowances and adjustments is on the person moving here, rather than on the locals. Life here tends to be so much easier, and so much more amicable for those who achieve that shift in their thinking, and who are open to learning how things are done "here", and willing to change their own behaviours and habits (and sometimes attitudes).

There are lots of opinions (and threads on this forum) about what "The Swiss" are like, as if they were a homogenous mass which, of course, they are not. Even so, there is something like a Swiss way of doing things, and those who settle in well, here, tend to adapt towards it. For example, my friends living here in Switzerland, who came from Kosovo, Canada, Italy and Ghana, all say that they now appreciate punctuality and reliability much more than they ever used to before, way back when they were living in their own countries. And how surprised they are at themselves, when they visit their family "back home" and feel irritated (so much more than their local family members!) when someone arrives 10 minutes late, or when the plumber doesn't turn up at the time arranged. Their relatives shake their heads and say: "You've become so Swiss!" and yes, in a way, they have.

thank you so much for your thoughtful advice!! this is definitely something i will consider. the switzerland i know is only a place that i have visited merely a handful of times only for a matter of days. my perspective of the country and culture is something that will broaden as i adapt. so far things are going better than when i initially posted, not so much in the hole now but still working on getting back to comfortable living. people have been supportive and i am doing my best day by day to find myself happy in CH. I greatly appreciate you coming back to this thread to check up on me.
The following 3 users would like to thank FabioSuave for this useful post: