Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 27.01.2021, 14:16
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 38 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,192 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
For the current UK situation- a young friend (ex 6th form student of mine) send me this message today. Her mum, in her 80s, full of beans and yet frail, had her first jab on Monday:

''I’d humbly suggest that any sensible U.K. gov would now be prioritising remaining Pfizer stocks for second doses for those who’ve already had a first. This government of course will likely offer them a dose of Astra Zeneca and tell them it’s all the same thing. Or maybe some Lemsip, who knows.''

I think she has got the measure of it about right.
The general idea of 12 week dosing is at least as efficacious if not a bit more so than the 4 week gap. And it supplies more net protection in the short term. Total no brainer.

If there is a problem in supply then clearly the most important people to vaccinate are those who have already had a Pfizer jab. If we run out because the EU refuses to export, and there are people remaining who have had 1 doses then the only option would be to give them 2 AZ doses. I don't think 1 of each is properly tested.

I sincerely doubt that the EU would refuse to export at least the numbers required to vaccinate those who've already had a first dose. Even if not, we might be able to source a small number from the US which also manufactures Pfizer.

The UK is pretty much self sufficient with AZ - so at least has something to fall back on if vaccine nationalism kicks in.
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post: