Thread: Instant Pot
View Single Post
Old 28.01.2021, 08:38
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 2,137 Times in 758 Posts
Traubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond reputeTraubert has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Instant Pot

Quote:
View Post
I was feeling lazy today and realised I hadn't used my steaming basket in my IP. So I took out a freshly frozen fillet of cod, whacked in some frozen vegetables (my pandemic-friendly staple), and put it on High pressure for 0 mins using a recipe I saw online. This basically means you let it build to pressure then immediately cancel and release the steam.

The fish was delicious and seemed cooked just right, but the vegetables, being frozen and therefore quicker to mushify (I love that word) than fresh vegetables, were slightly overdone. It seemed like the equivalent of being cooked for 20% or so longer than they should have been.

Has anyone ever tried steaming frozen vegetables on low pressure so they cook more gently and if so how long?
I like my veggies crunchy. Pressure cooked grey mushy vegetables, a horror from my childhood - dealt with the therapeutic passage of time.

Vegetables do well blanched. Peas are frozen at source and if you've ever had a fresh garden pea for example, you'll know that no cooking is required. How do i deal with frozen veg? I put them in a small pot of water, as soon as it comes to the boil, that's it, strain them.
The following 3 users would like to thank Traubert for this useful post: