Thread: Ask a Scientist
View Single Post
  #2100  
Old 28.01.2021, 14:15
araqyl's Avatar
araqyl araqyl is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich, West-side
Posts: 2,018
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,156 Times in 622 Posts
araqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond reputearaqyl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
The water in the lake gets zapped by the sun's UV rays all day round, at least during the swimming season.

And then there is more of a balanced ecosystem, with other bacteria that are harmless to us digesting any bits of poo etc etc.

Also despite the kids and birds peeing in it, the overall mass of water is huge so the dilution level should be far greater.

They take our drinking water out of the lake you know ...
Yes, and I'm quite content with that - they do filter and treat it before it gets to our taps, after all. Also, as you said, the amount of nasty bacteria would be insufficient to overcome our systems, especially with the good bacteria we have within us helping out.
Reply With Quote