Thread: Hunting Boar?
View Single Post
Old 03.02.2021, 11:22
Forum Legend

Groaned at 159 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,799 Times in 2,653 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hunting Boar?

Quote:
View Post
Very glad I live on Swiss side, where hunting with dogs is not allowed. In france they do hunt with packs of dogs, allow the dogs to have 'a bit of fun' with the animal, then kill it with a knife. Saw an ASPAS video the other day of a young board who had taken refuge in someone's garden- screaming and running aroundd with half its guts hanging out, after the dogs had ripped him apart. Just truly.

And in France- the hunters say the wild boars are too numerous- and at the same time, both artificially feed them on grain and corn to encourage numbers and breeding- then kill all the natural predators- then have the gall to say they are too numerous and cause damage.

Still, at least in Switzerland hunters get some training, are generally very good shots, and the laws are much tighter. Regular wild boar hunts in the woods behind us and then then drag them down in the snow to our lane- and always come and ask permission first.

I like the Geneva Canton solution.
Hunters in France are, for the most part, absolutely vile, selfish people with zero stewardship thinking. My father owns land in the South of France, most of it forest, with a house in the middle that is surrounded by about 60 olive trees. The part with the house is fenced in by a seven foot high fence that is set between thirty and fifty metres away from the house. We have bullet holes in the house from hunters shooting at things that had escaped to within the fence.

My dad has told the hunters of the village on numerous occasions that they should not set foot on his land (which he has clearly demarcated and is also characterised by the fact that he actually does the mandatory undergrowth clearing that is intended to prevent forest fires) but they don't give a damn. And not only do they not care, they even leave their rubbish lying around, including cigarette butts. During a lot of the year, smoking is strictly prohibited in the forest but they don't care. They feel it is their right to hunt and zero consideration is given to doing it in a humane way.

They will also shoot at anything that moves - I was given strict instructions to sing at the top of my voice whenever I wandered about in our forest on my own. Imagine not being able to walk around YOUR OWN PROPERTY without making noise for fear of being shot at. There also seems to be zero consideration for any season where one shouldn't hunt, if there is such a law, then the hunters ignore it.

So, summing up: I'm extremely glad that Switzerland takes its usual borderline over-engineered approach to the business of hunting. It is important to keep populations under control and take measures to keep them healthy. I remember being told to avoid getting anywhere near foxes back in the 80ies and 90ies because rabies was a big problem among the fox population of Switzerland. Through a systematic vaccination programme, rabies was eradicated among foxes by the end of the 90ies.

There is currently also a debate about what to do with raccoons that are arriving on Swiss territory, with a strong preference for not letting them settle here. Yes, raccoons are cute (the little hands!) but they have almost no natural enemies and can create absolute havoc. If they were to make a bird reserve their home, it would be almost impossible to protect the eggs and chicks from these highly intelligent omnivores. The wild boar are also without natural predators, unless the urban population can be convinced that having wolves and bears in their forest is totally fine. They seem to love canton Aargau in particular, must be all the carrots ... In 2009, only a little over 4'000 of them were shot by hunters, ten years later it was over 12'000. I'm glad to know that it isn't amateurs out for a bit of fun doing this, but serious people with the proper training and equipment.