Thread: Ask a Scientist
View Single Post
Old 19.02.2021, 16:48

Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
missenglish has a reputation beyond reputemissenglish has a reputation beyond reputemissenglish has a reputation beyond reputemissenglish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask a Scientist

Quote:
View Post
I have 2 powerful PCs with 1000W power supply and multiple GPUs, powerful CPUs, multiple HDs etc. My yearly electricity bill is around CHF850.

My PCs are left ON 24/7. If I switch them off at night, how much money could I potentially save on my electricity bill? Just an educated guess?
Too many unknowns in the equation, but you can easily find them on the bill: either your total consumption in kWh per year (easier) or, alternatively, the price you pay per kWh.

1000 W=1 kW. So one kWh every hour. There are 24x365 h to a year. That‘s 8760 kWh a year. (Assuming both PCs together use 1000 W. If each of them does, it’s double.)

So if you switched them off for half the time, that’d mean a reduction by roughly one half of those 8000+ kWh (or 17000+ if it‘s 1000 W per PC). You can calculate the savings by calculating the proportion of your total consumption.

Even if it‘s 8000 rather than 17000 kWh, the number strikes me as almost unbelievably high, seeing that an average household of four Swiss persons has an annual electricity consumption of 4000 kWh - in total, not just for PCs. So 1000 kWh per capita. (We use less per capita but I‘m into saving energy.) Did we get all our numbers straight?