View Single Post
Old 22.02.2021, 14:35
modified, reprogrammed and doctored˛

Groaned at 361 Times in 248 Posts
Thanked 19,326 Times in 10,089 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think on the contrary. They united back in the day that religion was important. The Flemish were predominantly Catholic whereas the Dutch were predominantly protestant (with some pockets and exclaves of exceptions), so the Flemish ceded from the Netherlands and ended up attaching themselves to French-speaking Wallonia because those guys were Catholic too, but otherwise they had little in common.

Today nobody cares about religion any more, but language has become a big divider. Which is why many Flemish want to go back.
This is the opposite I hear from the young Belgians I hang out with. Everybody speaks languages, here and there, it is an instrument. But religion is not an instrument, it is a choice. And I think where language can help unite, religion can still split. Not in CH, because of the respect to everyone's choice they made as per religion and spirituality. So, you say people were more united since there was more religion..maybe there was more familiarity, lack of choice, no alternatives. I think there is a chance for unity, out of respect - not because of a language or religion. But respecting people's choices. EU deprives of a choice and imposes oversight. It is the same issue as NGOs eating tax money and investing them in political campaigning of their choice I saw on local programming - very interesting issue. Same dilema.

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein