View Single Post
Old 02.03.2021, 19:39
Forum Legend

Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,872 Times in 11,051 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Last time my mother visited the UK, for our eldest's wedding- my dad was pushing her in a wheelchair and she was asked for ID for boarding, in Geneva. The Border Guard looked at her Swiss ID card and said 'but Mrs A' your ID card is 10 years out of date' she smiled her biggest smile, and looked at him with her 90 year old half-blind eyes and replied 'I am going to my grand-daughter's wedding- surely these things don't matter anymore at my age'. He smiled and handed her ID card back and said 'you are right, have a wonderful time'.
That must have been before Schengen, the UK hardly checked people's passports back then.
I can't remember when CH started to accept Swiss ID cards rather than a passport, it's not that long ago.