View Single Post
Old 03.03.2021, 00:55
All mod cons

Groaned at 291 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 19,567 Times in 7,705 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
TBH I have never fancied visiting Cyprus, because of its history and divisions.
Quote:
View Post
Why? It seems like a very nice place, I hope I'll visit it someday. I think history makes it even more interesting. Wish they'll find a way to be less divided so to speak.
I used to travel frequently to Cyprus, around 20 years ago, as I had family there. The island (the southern part, at least; like most tourists, I've never been over the line into the invaded north) is not my favourite place. It's very arid, the locals inland tend to treat the whole place as a tip, and the tourist spots on the coast rival Benidorm for tackiness. The beaches aren't stunning, and unfortunately the best beaches are apparently in the occupied north.

But the people (inland and away from the tourist traps) are very genuine, warm and welcoming, and the island generally exudes a sense of comfort and affluence. I agree with greenmount that it's odd to avoid visiting a country because of its history, especially when the (presumably) objectionable part of that history is not of the making of its citizens. Northern Cyprus was invaded; it's like saying you'd never visit Ukraine because Russia decided to help itself to a slice. Or refusing to visit the UK, because Scotland or Wales ort, of course, Northern Ireland.

Viewing the UN-patrolled no-man's-land that cuts through Lefkosia (Nicosia), the capital of Cyprus, was a fascinating but very sobering experience. At the time, and I think still today (following the fall of the Berlin Wall), Lefkosia/Nicosia was the world's only divided city.
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post: