Thread: PhD spouse visa
View Single Post
Old 03.03.2021, 13:49
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,275
Groaned at 29 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,408 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PhD spouse visa

View Post
Hi, I have contacted the university and they said it is possible apply the permit for her if we get married before June otherwise I have to do the application by myself. However as I am currently in UK and she is in Hong Kong, I cannot go back Hong Kong immedialy to get married due to Hong Kong Boarder restriction. So is the family reunification application very complicated if I apply it by myself? I have read some web but I cannot find a exact procedure/requirement for the application... Thank you very much for your help.
It all depends on how much you dislike dealing with bureaucracy. I had to apply for family reunification myself because my wife arrived a year later. If I remember I filled out a form at the gemeinde/commune, showed a proof of income (supplied by the university), a letter from the professor telling how many more years I was expected to be there, and the rental contract of a big enough apartment. The only challenge was to do the paperwork while being treated like a dumb child for having bad spelling of the local language. On the positive side, I got lucky the day I brought the marriage certificate because they didn't ask for an official translation with apostille even though it was on Spanish. They made a copy of the marriage certificate and I made some handwritten notes on it to indicate in French about family name, birth date, birthplace.....and it was enough. That wonderful person saved me a lot of time, stress and money, but I think that's not the usual outcome.

About the local language. If I remember well the regulations changed not so long ago (1-2 years) and the knowledge of local language is now another requirement for permit type C, not B. The Vaud site for family reunification says nothing about language requirement for family reunion of a resident with B type permit. EFers, am I reading wrong this site?

But better ask them (canton Vaud authorities), possible via email (courriel in FR)

Anyway, it doesn't hurt and helps a lot to learn the basics of French. If you don't want to spend more than 1,000 CHF on a language course, check at the university language courses (free for your, 200-300CHF for your wife), or this NGO named ECAP also about 300CHF per level

Last edited by Axa; 03.03.2021 at 14:00.
Reply With Quote