View Single Post
Old 28.01.2007, 21:28
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 34 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,623 Times in 836 Posts
gooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond reputegooner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driver's Licence conversion

Quote:
Hi gooner,

Just a quick question...

You are South African, and so is my husband.

We have moved from Dubai ti settle in Cape town, and have been here for the last 5 months to be precise.

We are both not getting jobs, though we are highly qualified, and my husband holds a Swiss passport.

Your inputs,pleae , where would you chooose to live, to raise a child and have a safe life- Switzerland or SA?

I am Indian, and never lived in either places, thought I have travellled extensively. Living and being a tourist are viewed differently.

Your inputs, please.
Hi Bernie,

That's not a question that can be ultimately anwered. My history is that I left SA when I was 21 to go travelling. I ended up never going back. I lived in the UK for 10 years and spent a couple of years in Sweden.

My issue was that the country changed so much and given that I had "grown up" in the UK, this is where I now had my life, work and friends.

For many years I got depressed everytime I went back, the place seemed so chaotic, which is not essentially a bad thing, but life in Africa is, well, cheap. I could not adjust to the way of life and the numbing of the senses that takes place as a result of the abnormal and outrageous things that happen there on a daily basis. I had become too accustomed to Europe.

I decided that for me personally SA was a great place to visit for holidays and of course see the family.

However, I can't help but feel that there is a certain something to be said for the way of life. I am eternally grateful that I grew up there. The way I grew up gave me a completely different outlook on life and a different set of survival skills. We didn't grow up cosseted or in shopping malls.

I was there in December and I know that if I had to live anywhere in SA it would be in Cape Town, which I view as the top deck of the titanic. You can take that either as the nice place to be or the last place to go down. I was impressed though, it seems the dust is settling and I never sensed the same tension that usually looms dark and heavy. Money is flowing and people seem to be enjoing their lives.

I don't know what it is you do professionally, but I know that I can make more money here than I could in SA. I feel at home in Europe and am enjoying CH, even though it has a severe deficit of chaos, but then if I need some friendly chaos, the airport is not far away.

I don't have children so I can't say. I know that I would be torn between the comfort, safety and organisation of CH and the versatile, free-thinking and individual place that SA is. South African's find more strength in diversity than conformity.

I know that CH is good for me so I choose to stay here. I hope that you can find a way to weigh up your options regarding SA and CH.

If you were to give me an either/or scenario, given your variables (children, stability, security etc) I would go with CH. I don't know what you do professionally, you might be savvy enough to carve out a very good life in either SA or CH.

I would play it safe.

Best of luck to you and I wish you all the best in making your decision.