View Single Post
Old 27.03.2021, 14:53
A modal singularity

Groaned at 425 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 15,886 Times in 6,835 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area

Quote:
View Post
Not sure a "normal guy" can pass the info to the police (it's his word against yours, after all).
Quote:
View Post
If it's a private person then I don't suppose the police would want anything to do with it, since it would just be your word against theirs.
Quote:
View Post
They can, and do.
Yes, I have first-hand experience of this. My wife's car was reported as being in a restricted area in Bern a few years back. Except it wasn't, but yes, a private individual had (incorrectly) noted the number plates and reported it to police, who then passed it on to the police in the village where we were resident, who then asked me to come in for an interview.

All without checking the vehicle description, which, IIRC, was of a red Toyota hatchback, as opposed to the white Audi TT convertible to which the plates were attached.

I was also able to show that we were both a couple of hundred km away, teaching skiing with the local ski school.

No idea what the fine would have been, as it was clearly a case of mistaken identity so the case was dropped.
The following 3 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post: