View Single Post
Old 18.05.2006, 18:08
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond reputeJack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why I HATE Switzerland.

Quote:
Jack and BaccusWines (Ed) are both on this forum and are in the food industry, maybe they can offer some advice as well?
I definitely agree with everything the other members have so far offered. It is a difficult situation for sure, but it is not a mountain that can not be climbed! Language is a huge barrier - it can create a terrible sense of isolation. Perhaps this should be your first challenge... Try visiting a school and seeing if they can help you out, or as someone else pointed out...visit your local government office and see if they will put you in school! As for work... Canton Wallis has the most restaurants per person in all of Switzerland (last time I checked it was something like one restaurant for every 25 residents). These restaurants serve a tourist industry, and they are always looking for help. Have you tried knocking on doors - literally? You might be surprised as to what will open up for you. Try going to the larger hotel/restaurants first, and don't expect a dream job. If you have the skills in the kitchen, you will move up rapidly... If you don't like knocking on doors, then try writing letters and sending them directly to the chef. The best paper to look in for a job is the Hotel Tourismus...it comes out every Thursday, but you will need some German to navigate the ads. The challenge is yours...no one will fix the problem for you. As Mark pointed out, though, this is an excellent forum to get a bit of feedback...the rest is up to you!

good luck,
Jack