View Single Post
Old 30.03.2021, 13:39
meloncollie meloncollie is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 10,852
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,416 Times in 7,917 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving with two dogs

Since I don’t have any Italian, nor do I live in TI, I’m relying on the Tier Im Recht foundation’s summary of TI dog law, which is published in German. So with that caveat:

Key points, valid for all dogs:

You are required to ensure that your dogs are appropriately trained and socialized so that they pose no threat to people or other animals.

You are required to carry liability insurance cover of 3 million. Anyone helping with your dogs must also be covered under your policy.

Dogs older than 3 months must be registered. (My note: with the Commune, as well as via the AMICUS federal database).

In public areas ,where the presence of people or other animals cannot be excluded, dogs should be kept on lead, and if required wear a muzzle. (My note: a muzzle requirement would come from the Veterinäramt, usually after an incident.)

Roaming dogs and cats, or other pet animals who appear to have gone feral, that are found more than 300 meters from a residential area, may be seized or killed by the hunting police.

You must pay a yearly dog tax.


So for your Lhasa, you simply need to do what any dog owner anywhere must: Register with the commune, and see a vet to get the ball rolling with the AMICUS registration. This needs to be done within 10 days of arrival in Switzerland.

You might contact EF members Snoopy and Mrs Doolittle, who have recently moved to Tessin with their dog, a breed not subject to BSL. They are experienced and knowlegeable dog owners, so likely au fait with TI regs for non-listed dogs


Back to the TIR summary, Measures relating to the listed breeds - so this only pertains to your EB:

Listed dogs may only be walked singly. (My note: This means you cannot walk both your dogs together! Have you planned for how you will structure your day due to this?)

You are required to obtain a permit in order to keep your dog.

The permit requirement is for all listed dogs that are resident in the canton for more than 30 days, including holiday and second home owners.

The permit must be obtained before taking ownership of the dog. (In your case, before you move into the canton.) My note: This answers one of your questions, you MUST apply before moving into the canton!)

To apply for the permit you will need:

An extract from the criminal register.

(Here the TIR summary points to the TI dog law, articles 9-14. I’ve included the points below, run through DeepL, as again, I do not know Italian:

You will have to show your certificate demonstrating competence in handling your dogs.

(My note: the TI dog law, art. 10 and 14 - which in turn references the federal animal control law, 455.1, article 68, the old SKN federal training requirement and certificate. However this requirement was abolished a few years ago. So you will need to clarify what specific cantonal training classes are required. Write the Veterinarämt for clarification. If you are not a proficient Italian speaker, have someone who is help you.)

The commune will then check the conditions under which you are keeping your dogs. My note: I don’t know how TI does this - in other cantons it’s a visit from either a Veterinäramt official or the police. Usually the visit is a friendly discussion of both animal welfare and safety.

Based on that report, the canton issues the permit to keep a listed dog.

Once the certificate has been issued, you are required to attend the compulsory course between ages 9-13 months and take the appitude test, then again between the ages of 2 and 3 years. (Again, contact your commune or Veterinaramt for clarification as to which course, and what the test entails.)

If you fail to obtain a certificate from the course/test, you are required to take a second course within 6 months.

My Note: How old is your EB? In other cantons with training requriements linked to age, when one moves into the canton with an older dog one is told what courses to take and when. Again, get in touch with the Veterinäramt for clarification if your dog is older.


More on the test for listed dogs, from

Which defines the skills tested, and the conditions of the training course:

Again, run through DeepL:

Article 4 Course content shall include:
(a) attention: the keeper must be able to get the dog's attention;
b) bite inhibition and play: the dog must have acquired bite inhibition and
control itself in play;
(c) Leash Conduct: The keeper shall be able to walk with the dog on the leash without being pulled by the dog.
leash without being pulled by the dog;
d) off-leash conduct: the dog must follow the keeper by the foot even if not
on the leash;

Certificate of proficiency
e) recall of the dog: the keeper shall be able to recall the dog successfully in any situation;
(f) basic commands: "sit"; "down": the dog shall know the basic positions and execute them on the order of the keeper;
(g) controlled separation: the dog shall maintain the position requested by the keeper;
(h) indifference to strangers: the dog must not have aggressive reactions and the keeper must be able to maintain control of the dog if the dog encounters strangers on a bicycle or on foot;
(i) approach with other dogs: the dog shall not have aggressive reactions and the keeper shall be able to maintain control of the dog if the dog encounters other dogs;
(j) handling the dog: the keeper shall be able to handle the dog and muzzle the dog;
(k) microchip reading: the dog shall easily allow the microchip to be read.
Art. 5 1During the course must be used the method of gentle education. It is not allowed under any circumstances the use of coercive methods or tools.
2Each instructor can work with a maximum of 5 dogs.
Art. 6 The enrollment takes place directly at the dog club organizer. The course can also be attended by dogs that are not subject to the authorization obligation according to art. 14 Dog Law.
Art. 7 1 Upon completion of the course, the dog-owning society must issue an attendance certificate to the dog owner indicating in particular
a) the personal details of the keeper;
b) the microchip number of the dog;
(c) the course location;
(d) the name of the instructor responsible for the dog; and (e) the period of course attendance.
2The certificate of attendance shall be issued in cases where the dog-owner pair has attended the entire course.
3The certificate may also be issued in cases where for justified reasons the dog-owner pair has attended only 90% of the lessons of the entire course.
4The company organizing the course must keep a register of participants for at least 5 years.
Art. 8 The price of the course is established by the dog society. FINAL PROVISIONS
Art. 9 These directives are published in the Official Bulletin of laws and executive acts and come into force immediately.

My note: So it looks like a standard Wesenstest, similar to those used in other cantons. You and your EB will need to master these skills.

Now - how all this works in practice I cannot say, as I do not live in TI. You need to get in touch with someone who does. If you do not know someone with a listed dog in TI, perhaps get in touch with the English Bulldog Club Switzerland and ask if they can connect you to someone in TI who might be able to help you.


One big question leaps out at me: Do you anticipate any difficulty meeting the requirements with your EB? And if so, what is your Plan B if you cannot get permission to keep him in TI?

This should be addressed before you agree to the move to Tessin. Could you live in another canton?

As we have seen over and over and over again in Swiss dog law - and much of other Swiss law - there can be differences in what a law says, and how it tends to be interpreted by local authorities, and how it is put into force.

You really need to speak to a Ticino owner of a BSL dog for info as to what the everyday reality in the canton is.

Wishing you and your pups all the very best!


And finally - Could I ask an Italian speaker - preferably an Italian speaking dog owner familair with dog law - to go through these links and correct my interpretation of the DeepL translation, and to add anything I have missed?


It would be helpful if your title indicated you need info on moving to Tessin with a listed dog, so that any EFers who have listed dogs in TI would be more likely to see your thread. Perhaps consider contacting a moderator to ask if that info could be added to your thread title.

All the best with your move.

Last edited by meloncollie; 30.03.2021 at 17:51.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: