View Single Post
Old 30.03.2021, 19:38
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,396 Times in 7,915 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving with two dogs

Quote:
View Post
is there a way to rename title?
Just contact a moderator - hit the ! triangle at the right. A mod can change the title for you.

Quote:
View Post
Regarding the plan B(if I do not get authorization)-I do not know.
I would never give him away.
Good on ya! Our dogs are for life, we commit to them come what may.

While a Plan B brewing in the back of your mind would be prudent, I wouldn't stress yet. First contact a trainer as discussed below to get an idea of how difficult/easy the test might be for your boy.

If the TI test is anything like some I have seen - remember, I do not have any personal experience of the TI test - keep in mind that you are being tested along with your dog. So think about how you would handle any mistakes your pup might make. Emphasis on how your response would enhance safety.

Do you speak Italian?

Quote:
View Post
He is gentle, cuddly, not agressive at all, he is spirited dog and he is full of life!
Hi is friendly with dogs and people...my only concern is obedience test
https://m4.ti.ch/dss/dsp/uvc/settori...est-cantonali/
We will probably hire dog trainer in order to prepare him for this test.
He is 9 moths old and not listening all the way when outside, but maybe that will change as he ages.
Not sure if this test are ment to make you fail or help you?
If you fail(obedience) , do they give you second chance? Do they offer classes?
He sounds lovely - and you sound like a very caring owner.

Bumbling around the TI website - again with the caveat that i do not know any Italian - I found this:

https://www4.ti.ch/dss/dsp/uvc/setto...i-obbligatori/

This is a list of trainers who are qualified to do the obligatory courses. I see there are a couple in Lugano. Perhaps you could browse their websites, see who seems like a good resource for you, then contact one of those trainers and ask what to expect, how to prepare your dog for the move and permit process. Explain that your dog is a 9 month old teenager - I would guess that any dog trainer worth his or her salt understands the nuttiness of adolescent dogs, and knows how to handle their special kind o' crazy . Once you are working with a trainer, he or she should be able to guide you through the process.

Here is more on the test process:
https://www4.ti.ch/dss/dsp/uvc/setto...est-cantonali/

And here is the protocol for the test:
https://www4.ti.ch/fileadmin/DSS/DSP..._cani_2012.pdf

I can’t find anything that talks about scoring the test. Going on my experience of other tests in other places, there is sometimes a set of points ascribed to each exercise, with a minimum number of points to pass. So your dog does not have to be perfect, just good. But I must stress - I do not know anything about the Tessin test or process! Key will be to find someone who has been through it, and to start working with an experienced trainer.

I wonder if a Tessin trainer would be willing to do some kind of video lesson with you prior to your move? Something to ask about, as it would be nice to get a head start in training, and you want to essentially ‘train to the test’.

But if my zero Italian reliance on DeepL is close to correct, if you do not pass the test the first time you need to enroll in another class within six months.

Again, discuss all this with a trainer - he or she is best placed to answer your questions.

---

One last thing - have you found housing yet? With a listed breed, I'd recommend that you choose a free standing house with private garden rather than a flat. A free standing house makes your life easier, safer - and lessens the chance of neighbor run-ins.

---

Sean Connery, do you have any additional pointers for Cinoeye? First hand experience is invaluable, and far more useful than the than dry info I found on t'interwebs

ETA:

While we have been focusing on the test, do remember that is only one factor. You will also be requried to take the obligatory classes. So you will have a fair amount of time not only to work on your basic training, but also to learn about Swiss expectations, about your responsibilities as an owner of a listed breed, and about how the whole process works. Look to your trainer as your best resource in this!

I am a firm believer in taking various training classes throughout a dog's life. Training is learning how to help your dog to become a good canine citizen, it's a way to bond together, a way to have fun together. A good class is so much more than sit, down, stay! A good training class sets you and your dog up for success.

I do not have a listed breed, but I have had a lot of dogs with behavioral issues - and my current challenge is a dog who is, well, broken beyond belief. So I have to be extra careful in a similar way to owners of listed breeds. I have found that continually taking training classes goes a long way creating good will with my neighbors, with the Powers That Be.

Something to consider.

---

Again, wishing you and your pups all the best.

Last edited by meloncollie; 30.03.2021 at 20:11.