View Single Post
Old 03.04.2021, 18:28

Groaned at 5 Times in 1 Post
mmartins has no particular reputation at present
Re: Sound Sensitive Owner right below my flat

We must acknowledge that the real problem is poor sound insulation in many (most?) buildings. It's ok for your neighbor to want to go to sleep at 10pm and for you to hae a phone call after 10pm.

My golden rules when looking for a new apartment.
0) Set your expectations realistic. Don't fall into a mistake of thinking "This is Switzerland. Everything is so in-order and everything is done so-properly. The Swiss must have figured out how-to build comfortable, sound-proofed and energy efficient buildings ages ago. So I can just pick any of them." This is so far from truth that it will make you cry. In fact, most of the buildings are built like shit at least in terms of sound insulation. Hence the absurd Swiss rules "no toilet flush after 10pm" etc.
1) Top floor apartment is always preferable. Even in a 5 story building without an elevator. Top floor apartment means noone will ever cause you a nervous breakdown with their elephant style walking, constant urge to drop heavy things, playing Wii-sports for hours, moving chairs etc.
2) Always inspect Grundrissplan of your potential new apartment and check how many walls are crossing neighbours apartments and which rooms. For example your bedroom crossing neighbours kid room or living room is a no-go. You don't want to listen to your neighbours Netflix sessions until 2am or kids crying all night long when their teeth start to come out. For this reason apartments located on the sides or corners of the building are preferable.
3) In majority of cases newly-built buildings are preferable to old buildings. Many modern buildings have a high number of constructions built from concrete. Concrete has high mass and high mass blocks sound travel.

In reality you can rarely combine 1, 2, 3 however with proper care you can do at least 2, 3.
The following 4 users would like to thank mmartins for this useful post: