View Single Post
Old 07.04.2021, 12:41
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
LeTromboniste has no particular reputation at present
Re: What's the rental situation like in Basel at the mo?

Different canton, different circumstances, but I visited 5 houses and flats in Wallis, applied for two and was offered both (and pretty sure I would have been offered the others too had I applied, as we got follow-up emails from them), so I'm not so sure about it being incredibly hard everywhere in Switzerland. Now Basel is a very different place of course. I didn't have to search for a flat since 2017 here, but I know several people who have in the last year or so and they really haven't had that much trouble. I suspect the whole covid situation has slowed down the market a bit and made it somewhat less of a sellers market.

Keep in mind that Basel has a lot of students, which means many people reaching the end of their studies and moving out of Basel are vacating flats in July and August, and most new students aren't arriving until end of August or September, which means that searching in May, June, July is the right time (slightly fewer people looking in proportion of available flats).