View Single Post
Old 07.04.2021, 14:51

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
JennaHig has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Apparently this used to be the case but not any longer. As there are lots of low quality cloths in Europe now (even Zara and alike) apparently people in Africa now prefer cheap new from China. So less and less places take on these clothes. Remember reading an article 1-2 years ago, but don't have the link.

Some shops take on a bag of clothes and give you a voucher. I think H&M was doing this. They don't need to be in good condition. Maybe they are recycling though I was also reading that it is increasing difficult to recycle given complex composures of different clothes. Many times they end up in car seats and similar.

Also the standard collection from in-front-of-the-building (they put in the mailbox plastic bags beforehand) say that the clothes should be in good shape so I guess they are re-allocating them.

OP: maybe you could contact a second-hand shop and ask what they offer?
A good place to donate is Red Cross, that's where I tried, but they wouldn't take such large amount. I was told they only take selected clothes as well. Red Cross is the most proficiently run charity organisation, using only a small percentage of their funding to run it. Plus, if they take clothes, they either sell them out of their stores or make donations directly. I fully agree with H&M view, they , like most other fashion companies are only able to recycle a small amount of not sold or donated clothes.
As for Africa, I was there for a period of time in a late 2019 and I personally saw containers of clothes from Europe being brought in to Dar es Salaam, to be resold. I also saw the second hand clothes in markets in Arusha, Nairobi and Kigali. Maybe it stopped on a scale it used to be, but at least 2 years ago, the whole resell process was very much alive.

Quote:
View Post
The better quality European clothes made in China too?

Europeans did everything in their power to destroy their textile industry. So I think more than 90% of all clothes we can buy in Europe are made either in China or other countries in Asia.
I agree, sadly it is hard to buy good clothes in Europe that are European. However the clothes I saw in Africa from China were such poor quality. Felt like pure plastic. The dies run in rain.... it was awful. Even in the low cost European Chinese clothes shops, you do not see such a low quality. A t-shirt felt like a plastic bag and half of the stitching was missing.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 08.04.2021 at 22:03. Reason: merging consecutive replies
This user would like to thank JennaHig for this useful post: