View Single Post
Old 07.04.2021, 14:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 159 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,789 Times in 2,649 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Medical sick note

Quote:
View Post
Are you quite sure about that? This contradicts the advice from the previous post which says it needs to be backdated to the Monday.

Does anyone know for sure what the right answer is?
1. Why does it matter? If you can be sick for two days without a note and are still too sick to work on day three, then you are still compliant with rules if your note starts on day three.

2. I gave you the right answer, based not only on official guidance but also on personal experience. I used to get sick quite often before I changed jobs, so I "collected" over a dozen sick notes in the past ten years. Some doctors only agree to make the note out from the day you were in their office, others will ask you from when you had symptoms. It also depends on the nature of your illness.

3. Simply apply your common sense: If you rock up at the doctor's with a rotten cold on Wednesday and say you have had it since you had to leave work earlier on Friday afternoon because you felt so terrible, do you really expect them to just take your word for it and write you a note from them on? Even if you say Monday, there is no guarantee that you are telling the truth.

The doctor should only consider backdating the sick note (an official document) if they see clear evidence that your illness has lasted since the time that you say it did but even then, anything more than a few days is pushing it. For example, if they x-ray your lungs after hearing a rattling noise when you breathe and they are full of gunk, it's pretty certain that this did not happen within 24 hours. If you come in saying you have a stomach bug, then you will more than likely only get a note that starts on the day you presented yourself to the doctor.
The following 3 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post: