View Single Post
Old 08.04.2021, 20:17

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
gaemsbock has no particular reputation at present
Re: What's the rental situation like in Basel at the mo?

Kleinbasel seems to get a really negative rep on this forum which has always seemed to me undeserved, and I‘ve now lived in 4058 for more than 5 years. I completely agree there‘s an issue on Rebgasse north of Claraplatz and I would no way live around there. We looked at an apartment there when we first moved and it was to me a very obvious immediate „no“ from the people hanging about, at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon. It might not be so obvious during the pandemic now. I‘d avoid the area around immediately Claramatte Park too. BUT... this is a tiny part of Kleinbasel and not representative of the area as a whole. I originally lived on the Erlenmatt which is very modern nice apartments and convenient but a bit expat-ghetto and I didn‘t find it very friendly and generally felt a bit isolated. I now live in Wettstein which though a short distance away is a different world. I‘m a few minutes walk from the Rhine and the buzz of restaurants and bars around Clarastrasse, yet on a quiet street with no through traffic, trams, or other noise. The neighbours are a mix of Swiss and foreigners, but all very chilled out and friendly. There‘s a Migros a couple of minutes walk away, and all the shops, restaurants and cafes of Clarastrasse less than 10 minutes walk. I like that there is life to the area and that the streets aren‘t devoid of people after 7pm or on a Sunday, and I‘ve never felt unsafe here (female, 30s).

EDIT: I agree that there are much better flats advertised on Facebook. A lot of the homegate/comparis adverts seem to get recycled and I‘m never sure if it‘s because they just leave the ads up most of the time or there is something fundamentally wrong with the places so that whoever moves in immediately gives notice!

Last edited by gaemsbock; 08.04.2021 at 20:19. Reason: additon.
The following 3 users would like to thank gaemsbock for this useful post: